The Elkhart Truth, an award-winning daily newspaper with a digital first philosophy in all aspects of our operation, is seeking a journalist with strong social media, SEO, reporting and editing skills to fill a key role on our newsroom’s digital desk.
The ideal candidate for this critical position will be able to quickly develop online content that will resonate with our readers, and then use proven SEO and social media techniques to promote those stories to the widest audience possible. The job also involves initiating and managing conversations with readers on social media, and working with other staff members to develop ways to best utilize online and social media resources for reporting, crowdsourcing and story ideas. Reporting and writing breaking news stories is a key component of this job, so previous crime reporting experience is a plus.
You’ll work hard, but you’ll be in a newsroom full of journalists who are passionate about what they do, are always looking for new journalistic tools and share that knowledge with the rest of the team.
Specific duties include:
● Covering breaking news primarily for an online audience
● Working with editors and other reporters to write and post breaking news stories and updates online
● Editing stories, photos and videos
● Using web analytics tools like Google Analytics and Chartbeat on a regular basis
● Writing feature and breaking news stories
● Working with the digital assistant manager editor to develop ideas for programmed content and other ways to grow web readership and interactions
● Managing conversations with readers on social media
● Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends
Candidates with basic knowledge of HTML, as well as photo and video editing, are preferred.
Located less than two hours away from Chicago and three hours from Indianapolis, Elkhart is situated along the Michigan-Indiana border, and offers a high quality of life without the hassle of a big city. There's no shortage of weekend events, art galleries, shops, great restaurants, breweries and more. Elkhart also features a revitalized downtown with numerous cultural amenities and a cost of living that is much more affordable than other parts of the country.
Full-time professional newspaper experience is preferred, but we will consider a recent college graduate with strong part-time experience or internships.
Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance and a 401K plan.
To be considered, please submit a cover letter, resume and three to six work samples to Managing Editor Mark Maley at firstname.lastname@example.org.